All Days of our Lives fans know about Alice Horton and her famous doughnut recipe. A favorite treat that Jennifer Horton has seem to manage to make for the family and friends. The comfort snack Jen serves to all her events she attends. Keeping Alice Horton’s name alive on the NBC soap opera.
Having a family heirloom recipe is a great way to keep the tradition going for all recipes. I only hope we see Thomas get to make these in years to come. JJ seem to have the knack for helping in the kitchen making these one time. We’ll get to that later in this article.
So, give this a go and try and make these. The great thing is they are baked and not deep fried. There are many ways to coat your doughnut too. Try using powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar, glaze some and frost a few with sprinkles.
Yields: 36 doughnuts and 36 holes
Alice Horton’s Famous Doughnut Recipe (Days of our Lives)
More Days of our Lives recipes: Brady’s Pub Famous Clam Chowder (Days of our Lives)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 5 T shortening, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (sifted before measuring)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- In large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating it continuously.
- Stir in the milk, shortening and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients mixing well.
- Cover and chill the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour for easy handling.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Place the doughnuts (and holes) on the baking sheet about 1″ apart.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush each doughnut and hole with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar (recipe follows) to coat all sides.
Cinnamon & Sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Remember the episode when JJ helped make doughnuts for his friends and Jen’s meeting at the Horton house?
JJ laced the doughnuts to take to his friends. While at the same time Adrienne came into the kitchen to get some to take out to all the guests.
Unbenounced to Adrienne, she grabbed the one’s JJ had “prepared” for his party buddies and she took the laced one’s out to the ladies. Results were one stoned bunch of ladies and the teenagers got regular old Alice Horton doughnuts with plain powdered sugar!
The Beloved Alice Horton
Alice Horton, the original fictional character on the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives, portrayed by Frances Reid from the show’s debut on November 8, 1965 until December 26, 2007.