Anybody who’s in touch with Days of our Lives soap opera surely has heard of the Famous Brady’s Pub Clam Chowder. It’s the go to meal whenever someone is ill or needs their spirits lifted. Just what is it that makes Shawn and Caroline’s soup so special. i think I know the secret ingredient!
While we never see just how they make it, it sure gets ate a lot. One of the family members is always speaking how “there’s a fresh batch of clam chowder soup on the stove.” And the customers are always ordering that more than her burgers and fries. The soup must have special healing powers. Anyone who is ill or shot always get a bowl in a brown paper sack delivered to them.
So, back to that special ingredient. It has to be… (and don’t tell anybody)…it’s LOVE. Yep, that’s it, love! They love to make it, love their family and friends and we love to watch Days of our Lives.
Brady’s Pub Clam Chowder (Days of our Lives)
More Days of our Lives recipes: NBC Alice Horton’s Famous Doughnut Recipe (Days of our Lives)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 piece of bacon, chopped into confetti size pieces
- 2 cups russet potatoes (about 1 pound), cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh clams and their liquor or 2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams and their juices
- 3 cups hot milk
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 2 T butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 3-4 drops red pepper sauce or to taste
Grandpa Shawn adding his fresh clams he got down by the docks. Originally the owner of the Brady Fish Market, after their business was destroyed and Shawn suffered a massive heart attack, he and Caroline reopened the Fish Market as the Brady Pub, often employing many of their family and friends. Over the years the pub has functioned as a second home for some of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and their first great-grandson, Will, spent a great deal of time there while he was growing up.
- In large sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the onions and oil and bacon.
- Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and water.
- Lower heat to simmer; cover and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Add the clams with their juices and the hot milk.
- Stir together the flour and butter.
- Add to the chowder stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Do not allow this to boil!
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper sauce.
- Serve with oyster crackers.
Shawn has been married to Caroline Brady since he first appeared on-air in 1983. They had three biological children: Roman Brady, Kimberly Brady and Kayla Brady Johnson, two adopted children Frankie Brady and Max Brady and one legal son, Bo Brady. In the 1980s, Shawn was shocked to learn that Greek tycoon Victor Kiriakis was the father of his and Caroline’s youngest child, Bo, the product of an affair that Caroline had with Victor years earlier.
Shawn came back to guide Caroline through a rough patch when she became ill. In October 2012 Caroline starts having memory lapses, these increase over time with Caroline calling Bo ‘Shawn’ and ‘Roman’ and referring to Victor as ‘My Shawn.’ Bo is concerned by this and Caroline see Kayla and they are all concerned that it could be the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease.