Serving stuffed mushrooms at any social gathering is sure to be a hit with your guests. Make these with a variety of stuffings such as cheddar cheese, prosciutto, pesto or crab meat.
Please note: When making a different variety of these Stuffed Mushrooms the ingredients do vary. There are a couple more variations to try at the bottom of this recipe.
Yields 24 mushrooms
- 24 large fresh mushrooms (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (2)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or smoked Gouda cheese or crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 strips crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems, and set stems aside.
- Place mushroom caps, stem sides down, in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan.
- Lightly coat mushroom caps with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 5 minutes.
- Drain mushroom caps, stem sides down, on a double thickness of paper towels.
- Chop enough of the mushroom stems to make 1 cup.
- In a saucepan, cook chopped mushroom stems, green onions and garlic in hot butter until tender.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, cheese and bacon mixture.
- Turn mushrooms stems up: fill with bacon mixture.
- Return mushroom caps to baking pan.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Prosciutto Stuffed Mushrooms: Prepare as above except omit the butter, cheese and bacon. Cook mushroom stems, green onions and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in breadcrumbs 1/3 cup chopped prosciutto, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese, and add 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed. Continue as directed.
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms: Prepare as above except discard the mushroom stems. Omit green onion, garlic and breadcrumbs, cheese and bacon. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup prepared pesto, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, and 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts. Continue as directed.