A grilled breakfast sandwich is a special treat in my home. Everyday it’s the same old, same old: eggs, bacon and toast. Making this into a stovetop toasted sandwich with some cheese seems to set the day off right.
I first saw this made at a local restaurant. I worked there for a short while and saw how popular it was with the diners, so I decided to duplicate it using at my own home. WOW, what a hit it was! This soon became a special treat for breakfast in no time. Rewarding the family with the grilled breakfast sandwich made me “Mom Of The Year” (or day).
Now it’s time to get creative! I started using my fresh garden vegetables (green onions, tomatoes, green peppers and chili peppers) and different varieties of breads and bagels. The Everything Bagel and Texas Toast are the best to use i found out. Yet, just simple white bread works just as well. The key thing is the bread is not put in the toaster but buttered and grilled on the stove in a flat pan. This method really bakes the butter into the bread making it that much more yummier. And the cheese…add a variety of cheeses if you have them. Today I used hot pepper jack cheese along with some sharp cheddar. The only sound I heard during breakfast times was “yummmm” with every bite they took!
Be the hero of the day and make this grilled breakfast sandwich for your family and guests. This is a meal they will remember!
Yields 1 sandwich
Recipe For Grilled Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices of white bread or Texas Toast
- 2 eggs, whipped
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked crisp and then crumbled
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- In small bowl crack the eggs and slightly whip them then set aside.
- Fry the bacon crispy and then dry on a paper towel to crumble when cooled enough.
- Butter one side of each of the bread and place then butter side down on stovetop griddle to brown the bread.
- Fry the eggs in the bacon grease forming them into a bread sized square with the spatula.
- Flip the fried eggs to brown the other side.
- Place shredded cheese and then bacon crumbles on top of the eggs.
- Now place the egg, cheese and bacon on top of one side of the toasted bread.
- Cover with the other side of the toasted bread. You may want to gingerly flip to make sure both sides of the bread is evenly toasted.
- Place on plate and cut in half…enjoy!