A great way to save money on Valentine’s Day is to cook dinner at home. And no better meal for the seafood lover then Boiled Lobster. Call me sentimental, but I love Valentine’s Day. From the pastel-colored candy hearts and saccharine card exchanges of my youth to the roses, romantic dinners and chocolate indulgences of adulthood. More recently, I have enjoyed researching the role lobster plays in this love-filled holiday and experimenting with ideal dishes to serve on special occasions.
Did you know lobster is considered the ultimate romantic dinner. Lobster is an aphrodisiac. The meat of a lobster is rich in low-fat protein which naturally boosts levels of two brain chemicals, dopamine and norepinephrine, that heighten sensitivity. Lobster is also full of zinc which is beneficial for boosting the male libido. And cooking lobster as a couple can be a great bonding exercise and lobster pairs perfectly with another top Valentine’s Day delicacy, champagne.
Yields: 2 Lobster meals
Recipe for Boiled Lobster
- 3 gallons water
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 lemons,quartered
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 5 stalks celery,quartered
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
- 4 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 6 fresh jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 fresh live lobsters
- Pour the water into a large pot and add the onions, garlic, lemons, oranges, celery, black pepper, seasoned salt and jalapeno peppers.
- Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the lobsters and place a lid over the pot. Boil for 15 minutes (depending on the size of your lobsters).
- Remove the lobsters from the pot, and place in a colander under cool running water to stop the cooking.
Lobster Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic; cook and stir until starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter and reduce heat to low.
- Stir to melt the butter, then mix in the lemon juice, pepper and cilantro.
- Let it steep over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Strain before serving if desired.