This homemade Dark Chocolate Cream Pie is holiday favorite in my home. All made from scratch with the secret ingredient. When asked what my secret ingredient is I simply reply “it’s love.” Loving to bake makes most everything taste better. From the pie crust, the homemade chocolate cream filling and up to the gorgeous meringue this is a perfect dessert for all occasions!
The secret way to make the perfect homemade pie crust:
Your pie crust will turn out perfectly rolled by using the best shortening Crisco and making it a fine crumble with the flour and salt. The trick is to use ice cold water and never mix the dough with your hands. Always use a pastry cutter. When you use your hands you invertedly add more salt from your body making the dough tough and hard to roll out.
Homemade Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 c. sifted flour
- 1/2 c. Crisco Shortening
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 T ice cold water
- Using a pastry cutter mix the flour, salt and Crisco until it resembles fine crumbles.
- Add the cold water and mix well.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle shape.
- Wrap onto the rolling pin and place in pie pan.
- Crimp the pie edges using your fingers or a fork.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350°.
Dark Chocolate Pie
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 2 1/2 c half & half or milk
- 3 oz baker’s chocolate
- 1 T butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 recipe for 4 egg white meringue
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk well.
- Add the milk and bakers chocolate.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cook 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Slightly beat the egg yolks and add 1 cup of the hot mixture into the eggs.
- Now add that mixture back into the pan. Bring to boil cooking 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell. Keep filling warm while preparing the meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 T sugar
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In large bowl add egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form (about 1 minute).
- Add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms soft peaks standing straight up and all the sugar is dissolved (rub a dot of it between your fingers to make sure its really smooth).
- Immediately spread over hot pie sealing all the edges of the filling to the pastry edge to prevent it from shrinking while baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cool and chill for 3-6 hours before serving.